Fiona Wilson looks at issues to consider when a client wishes to move children from England to Scotland or Northern Ireland.

This article will hopefully provide an overview of the issues one will need to consider if asked to advise on a proposed internal relocation away from England.

Moving children to Scotland or Northern Ireland is classified as an internal move within the UK, rather than an international relocation. While this definition includes most of the British Isles, such as the Isle of Wight, Anglesey and the Inner and Outer Hebrides, it does not cover the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

The main implication of a move to Scotland or Northern Ireland is this would be to a country with its own legal and education systems, which are different to that of England and Wales.

Obviously, as would be the case with an international r...

Fiona Wilson
Goodman Derrick LLP

This article is part of a subscription-based access, to continue reading, please contact your library