Coastal real estate: key issues around marine licensing and harbour limits

Solicitors who have clients owning, developing or looking to purchase property or land around the coast of Britain need to consider a range of additional legal issues, explains Lara Moore

31 Jul 2019

Many lawyers have clients who own, occupy, develop or wish to purchase properties or land around the coast of Britain.

However, there is a whole range of additional legal considerations that apply to such properties and land, which most lawyers are not familiar with.

Here, we focus on two key areas: marine licensing (which is effectively planning permission in tidal waters but required for a much greater range of activities including maintenance); and land within statutory harbour authority limits.


Under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009 (MCAA), the Marine Management Organisation (MMO) is responsible for marine ...

Want to read on?

This article is part of our subscription-based access. Please pick one of the options below to continue.
Already registered? Login to access premium content

Single User

  • - 10 issues a year delivered to you
  • - Digital edition of the magazine
  • - Access to premium content
  • - Access to the SJ Archives
  • - Weekly email newsletter
  • - Access to the SJ community online
  • - Advanced search feature
  • - Online support
  • - Access to SJ app- coming soon!
  • - 6 special focuses per year
  • - Special offers on SJ and IICJ events

Corporate User

The Corporate IP Licence is tailored to your firm, making it the most cost effective way for the firm to access Solicitors Journal, and enables the firm to remain compliant with copyright and our Terms and Conditions. This gives you the ability to print and circulate articles within the firm.

To enquire about a Corporate IP Licence for your firm, please contact our Subscriptions Manager on